Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Living Fearlessly 2


In a world where fear and worry are as common to many as eating and breathing, the thought "What if?" can pop into a person's mind several times in a day. If you have an overactive, overly imaginative mind such as mine, the "what if's" can give birth to more "what if's" and can spiral out of control! Whether it is a "what if" for the future or a "what if" from the past, both are thoughts that can cause fear and are definitely from the enemy!

What are the common "What if" thoughts I have come to entertain in the recent year?

What if I don't get any new work? Will we be able to provide for the family's needs?

What if one of us gets sick? Will we have money to get medical help?

What if the year doesn't get easier for our family?

What if I didn't do this or if i did this instead of this when I was raising my child, would
things have turned out different for him?

What if i didn't have another child, would my son feel more secure and more stable?

What if? What if? What if?

Sometimes when we dwell on the "what if's" for too long it can consume us to the point where we can actually "will" these bad things to happen! I am often guilty of allowing these awful thoughts to enter my head, and in the end I feel bad for doing so because it robs me of my peace and causes physical ailments which I otherwise would not have felt if I just turned my "what if" into a "what now, Lord" prayer. I know it is so much easier said than done, especially when we are right in the middle of a crisis. But unless I catch myself at the moment I start playing these words in my head, it will just go on and on to the point of me starting to believe these terrible lies! The Bible says, "We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ." 2 Corinthians 10:5. By turning over these worrying thoughts over to the Lord the moment they begin playing in my head, I am able to prevent them from taking root in my heart.

Battling the "what if's" will always be a struggle for me, but I hold on to His promise of peace as long as I give to Him anything that causes me to be anxious. By His grace I am able to face each day with courage, believing only what He wants me to believe and receiving a life free of fear and worry.

"And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
- Philippians 4:7

2 comments:

eph2810 said...

Powerful post, my sweet friend. Yes, those 'what ifs' can rob us from every joy we know, especially knowing Him.
I love what you said here: "...I otherwise would not have felt if I just turned my "what if" into a "what now, Lord" prayer.

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and being transparent at the same time.

Love & peace,
Iris

Admin said...

Nice blog, Congratulations.
Sugar & Coco